commitment and innovation is tangibly demonstrated at its headquarters
in Atlanta, GA, (below) which was created in natural surroundings
that play a prominent role in the design. Rather than building a
tall skyscraper when the company relocated from Greenwich, CT, UPS
designed a building that works with its natural surroundings to
provide an enjoyable work environment for its employees.
The result: a 623,000-square-foot, campus-like facility surrounded
by hundreds of treessome just 15 feet from the building. There
is also a half-mile jogging/walking trail that winds its way through
a natural forest area. In developing its vision for the campus,
UPS followed four criteria: ecological harmony, design and building
management, visual harmony and innovative achievement. Elements
* The site was developed at less than 40 percent of the allowed
* An on-site arborist developed a tree protection plan.
* At-risk trees were replaced and new indigenous trees and
shrubs were planted.
* Trees were retained and planted adjacent to the building
to provide shade in the summer and insulation in the winter.
* State-of-the-art, high-efficiency electrical and mechanical
systems were installed.
* Windows with thermally insulated glazing were installed,
and angled sunscreens were installed to provide solar shading.
* Nine hundred trees were added, including dogwood, magnolia
* A jogging/walking trail was installed through the naturally
* Erosion was controlled during construction.
* An on-site natural creek was preserved and storm water
* The offices were carefully structured over a ravine and
* On-site well water is used for landscape irrigation.
UPS has won several awards for these efforts,
* Backyard Wildlife Habitat Certificate of Exceptional Merit
Award from the National Wildlife Federation and its Georgia chapter
for creation of a wildlife sanctuary.
* National Environmental Designation, American Forests and
the National Association of Home Builders, for tree preservation.
* Environmental Change Team Award, North Fulton/Sandy Springs
Clean & Beautiful Committee, for preservation of natural surroundings.
* Environmental Award in the Special Industry Contribution,
Metro Atlanta Landscape & Turf Association (MALTA), for its
Tree Save Program during